The Green Man was originally built as a house some 600 years ago, and became a public house at the end of the 1800’s, serving its patrons ever since. The first known registry of the pub being declared a drinking house date back to 1895. Edward Harbour is recorded as the ‘beer retailer’.
Teresa Hodgson currently owns the lease of the pub, and has done so for 9 years. There’s very little history known about the pub, so if anyone has any photos or information about the building, please kindly let us know.
There’s a pint waiting for you, on us, if you can help!
About Denham Village
Denham is a village and civil parish in South Bucks district of Buckinghamshire, England. It sits just North West of Uxbridge.
The village was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Deneham. Now Denham, which, until 1500, didn’t see much development and this trend continues to current times, which has helped to maintain its historic charm. The parish is part of the Colne Valley Regional Park, which consists of a mixture of rivers, lakes, woodland and farmland. Beyond Denham village are now Denham Garden Village, Denham Green, New Denham, Higher Denham and Tatling End.
Wondering past the Green Man, amongst a cluster of three pubs in the centre of the village, one can head south east along Village Road to Saint Mary’s Church, featuring a flint and stone Norman Tower. Foundations of the church perhaps date back as far as the 12th century, but was rebuilt in the 15th century. After the Dissolution of the monasteries Denham and its great house Denham Place and the church, were granted to Sir Edmund Peckham, MP for Bucks. In 1595 the family fell into debt and the Crown passed the estate to William Bowyer, then by descent to Roger Hill and eventually Abigail Lockey. Within the church can be found the 16th century tombs of Sir Edward Pekham and his wife.
Some cottages and houses in the village date back to the 16th and 17th centuries, mostly of timber with brick filling and tiled roofs. Close proximity of Denham Film Studios, which were founded in 1935 by Alexander Korda and re-landscaped as a business park in 1981, meant Denham village and its picturesque buildings were featured on screen many times, ranging from Blithe Spirit in 1945, to becoming the village home of Miss Marple in Murder Ahoy, a 1964 Agatha Christie adaptation. For Carry on Matron, Denham was used as the location of ‘about to give birth movie star’ Jane Darling.
Notable residents and former residents of Denham are Robert Lindsay, Sir John Mills, Hailey Mills, Roger Moore, Ben Nicholson, Paul Daniels and Cilla Black.
The house of Sir John Mills, Hills House, sits close to St. Mary’s church. These days the current owners open the gardens to the public a few times a year and are certainly worth a visit. Hailey Mills has been known to entertain visitors at such events.
- Junior Sous Chef/Senior Chef de Partie